Bringing Austria to Los Olivos
Solminer, meaning mining the sun, is a certified biodynamic and organic winery founded in 2012 by owners/winemakers Anna and David DeLaski. Originally from Austria, chose soils of Santa Ynez, CA to plant Gruner Veltliner, Riesling, and Blaufrankisch, with sharp focus reminiscent of the style in their home country with the cloak of the California sun. They also produce Pinot Noir and Syrah co-fermented with Blaufrankisch.
Delanda Vineyard, a marriage of their first and last names are located on their farmhouse property. It includes donkeys, sheep, chickens, bees, fruit trees, native plants to encourage biodiversity, and their commitment to it truly translates to their wines.
HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE YOUR STYLE OF WINE?
- Solminer Wine has a style of its own- We grow unique Varietals from Anna’s homeland, Austria, specifically Grüner Veltliner, Muscat, Riesling, and Blaufränkisch. Since these varietals are growing in Los Olivos rather than Austria the terroir is different, therefore yielding different flavors and creating a whole new wine-drinking experience. Our vineyard and winemaking practices are Organic and Biodynamic® so we are focused on minimal intervention winemaking that allows the vineyard’s terroir to shine through.
WHAT INSPIRED YOU TO BECOME A WINEMAKER
- In the early days of our relationship, we came to Santa Ynez Valley (we were living in LA at the time) and stumbled upon Grüner Veltliner. At that time we didn’t know that this varietal grew in California so we were immediately inspired and toyed with the idea of making a small amount for just our friends and family. We continued to visit Los Olivos over the next couple of years and when we found our home (now our deLanda Estate Vineyard) we took the plunge and started to make wine! We are also inspired by our Biodynamic farm and vineyard with all of our farm animals. We have always loved the idea of land and letting it speak for itself, which has been a strong guiding force for our Biodynamic® farming and winemaking.
WHAT IS YOUR ULTIMATE WINEMAKING CHALLENGE?
- Having lots of patience and trust in the natural winemaking process and letting the wine happen with minimal intervention.
WHAT TYPE OF IMPRESSION YOU WOULD WANT CONSUMER TO WALK AWAY WITH?
- We aspire for every guest to walk away with a little more knowledge on our way of farming and winemaking, an interest in diving deeper into trying new wine varietals, and a membership to the Solminer Wine Club so they can continue to drink our delicious wines year-round. We hope that everyone gets the impression that we care deeply about the wine and lifestyle we are making for ourselves and our customers.
DO YOU MAKE WINE THE CONSUMER LIKES OR WHAT YOU LIKE?
- We make the wines we love. We think the passion and sincerity in the wine really show through and translates to a certain customer that appreciates them. One of our favorite experiences with customers is watching them learn and get inspired by the unique flavors that come from our wines. Introducing Austrian varietals to many people in Los Olivos has been educational for everyone!
WHAT IS THE FUTURE PLAN
- We really just want to keep doing what we are doing while enjoying the personal growth that has transformed our lives since we started Solminer.
ANY FUN FACT FEW KNOW ABOUT YOU?
- I (David) was an electronic music producer before my winemaking days. Our style is definitely influenced by art and emotion more than science and intellect.
2017 GRUNER VELTLINER Santa Ynez Valley
A blend of 30% Delanda Estate with 70% of the famed Sta. Rita Spear Vineyard that sits 900’ above sea level, pulls cold air from the Pacific on seabed soils. They are also 100% organic with meticulous clonal and rootstock selection.
Displaying a pale golden hue with a water white rim, intense nose of lemon/lime, grapefruit zest juicy nectarines, along with green and white cracked peppercorn perfumed with fresh tarragon, scented with verbena.
On the palate bone dry, spritz acid, light body from 70% stainless steel however, the 30% neutral French oak coats the mid-palate that mellows the searing austere style found in Austria. Raw walnuts and spicy herbs hit the back end to round out for a lively long finish
BLAUFRANKISCH 2017 DELANDA VINEYARD
Blaufränkisch is a dark-skinned variety of grape, originally from Slovenia, used for red wine. Blaufränkisch, which is a late-ripening variety, produces red wines that are typically rich in tannin and may exhibit a pronounced spicy character.
David manages to retain its bright fruit with backbone minerality while allowing the California climate to shower it with tropical fruit notes such as guava, pomegranate, and acai. It exhibits a full rich cracked pepper spicy mint finish.
It’s stimulating to find ambitious winemakers who are fearless as the practice is personal labor and the results are unpredictable. David and Anna have clearly embraced what’s unpredictable, but have also defined how mother earth breathes life into the final bottle.
“DANKE” Solminer for your great gifts to California’s Central Coast
Tastings $15 per person
For large parties (8 or more) or special requests, please contact us directly at 805.691.9195
2890 Grand Ave. (at the flagpole) Los Olivos, CA
Ciao! Hope you enjoyed my review please comment below Love your feedback.
Thank you and remember Taste Small Live Big!
Follow me on Instagram @epicurean.angel